Hot oil hair treatment is one of the best options when it comes to nourishing your dry, frizzy, brittle hair. These oils are obtained from plants like olive, almond, and coconut. Hot oil treatment protects and strengthens your hair by sealing the hair cuticle.
There are many ways for hot oil hair treatment. Either you can visit a salon or else if you are looking for an affordable option then you can DIY at your home with precautions and also you can buy an oil product from the market. Before using hot oil for your hair treatment, the point, you need to keep in mind is to be sure it’s right for your type of hair and it should be safe for your skin. You should take the advice of a dermatologist if you have skin conditions like psoriasis or eczema.
Benefits of Hot Oil Treatment for Your Hair
The plant oils used in hot oil treatment have properties that moisturize and protect your hair.
Other benefits of hot oil treatment for your hair are as follows:
- Strengthen hair.
- Keeps your scalp and hair hydrated.
- Healthy growth of hair.
- Split ends.
- Increases blood circulation in the scalp.
- Gets dandruff relief.
- Improvement in the elasticity of hair.
- Reduced frizz.
Is it safe to use hot oil treatment for your hair?
As we know hot oil treatment uses natural plant-based ingredients but that doesn’t give a surety that it will not damage your hair. If you have sensitive skin, it’s possible to have an adverse reaction to the oil. For decreasing the risk of adverse reactions try to use 100% original and natural ingredients and also try to avoid the use of synthetic ingredients.
If you don’t know the hot oil, you’ll be using for hair treatment will be beneficial for your skin or else it will damage your skin then you should try a patch test. What do you have to do in a patch test? You have to apply a little amount of unheated oil inside your elbow and you’ll have an idea within 24 hours whether the oil is good for your skin or not.
If you are looking for hot oil treatment at home then take all precautions and do it carefully or if you are going to bring store products for hair oil treatment then follow the instructions properly and safely.
As you know before applying oil to your hair or scalp you need to heat the oil at a certain temperature. Before applying be careful that oil cools down completely otherwise there’s the risk of burning yourself. If you want to check the temperature of oil then just apply a little amount of oil on your wrist before applying it to your hair and scalp.
Can we put hot oil on wet or dry hair?
To improve the absorption of the oil, you can also apply oil after freshly washing your hair.
Best oils for hot oil hair treatment
- Coconut oil is best for dry and curly hairs as this oil has strong moisturizing properties. The oil gets easily absorbed into the hair shaft.
- If you have oily or greasy hair then try to use the oil which has less fat in it. To reduce the oil residue on your scalp or hair one can use oils like almond, olive, or jojoba.
- You can use avocado oil for preventing breakage and for sealing the hair’s cuticle and also for providing moisture as it is enriched with minerals, antioxidants, biotin, fatty acids, and vitamins B5, A, and E.
- One can also use lavender oil for the itchy scalp as it can reduce bacterial infections, can also reduce itching, and even it helps to kill lice.
- You can use rosemary oil for your hair growth too.
How to do a DIY hot oil treatment?
There are a few steps for DIY hot oil treatment, but before that, you must have an idea of the type of hot oil you want to use. There are many popular oils like olive, almond, jojoba oils, coconut, avocado, and argan oils. Once you have decided the oil you want to use then just follow the steps given below:
- The first step for hair oil treatment is to wash your hair, as after washing you’ll have clean hair which allows oil to deeply penetrate the hair cuticle.
- After washing hair, take 3-6 tablespoons of the oil in a microwave-safe bowl for 10 seconds.
- Before applying the hot oil on your scalp and hair just apply a little amount of it on your wrist to check whether the oil is not too hot.
- Keep a towel over your shoulder just to protect your clothing.
- To get rid of hair knots, run a brush through your hair.
- Apply the oil throughout your hair and then massage it into your scalp.
- Use a shower cap for 20 minutes to cover your head.
- After 20 minutes, wash your hair with a conditioner.
Ready-made hot oil treatments
There are a wide variety of options to choose from if you are looking for ready-made hot oil treatments to use at home.
Many hair salons provide hot oil hair treatment and they follow the same steps that one follows for DIY oil treatment. There is one difference and that is that a heated lamp is used to heat the oil in salons.
The prices may change as it depends on the hair salons. For pricing, it’s best to call your local salon.
Other treatments like hair masks, one can also use hot oil hair treatment once a week. You can try this treatment for hair every few days if only you have dry hair.
Always consult your local doctor before trying out any new products. Feel free to comment below.